Saturday, June 16, 2012

Capable vs Whiny

We came back home on Wednesday afternoon after a trip to Tesco to stock up on groceries. It was a full car load - 3 adults, a toddler and a baby. Stuffed everywhere were groceries, baby equipment, frozen milk, clothes and everything else brought for the one-month stay at my parents' place.

Got home and faced the daunting task of unpacking, cleaning our long-neglected house, changing bedsheets, getting toddler and baby settled in, feeding baby on a 2-hour schedule, putting away groceries, getting dinner ready. Hubby neglected to mention earlier that he had a dinner appointment. Oo-kay. I shifted to Capable mode and multi-tasked. Wasn't easy... Jo Ern alone was a handful. She was excited at coming home and was very active - asking questions, climbing everywhere, requesting to play things/eat things/do this/do that the whole evening and night. Su Ern wasn't used to the new environment, cried and had to be carried a lot. Even with the help of the maid, I was exhausted by bed-time!

Bed-time (this time without maid) was another challenge. JE couldn't sleep, SE kept screaming. I carried SE around the room and JE followed me around. I tried to keep SE quiet by feeding her, JE got up to see what I was doing. She was actually very tired. She requested help at one stage... 'Mummy, need pat-pat'. Poor girl! It was over an hour before lights were finally out at 11pm. Phew.

Luckily I was in Capable mode. It was like being at work - "Deal with crisis A, ok do this with crisis B, crisis C can still wait, now how are we doing on crisis A etc". Me in Whiney mode would have been "Lousy hubby went out to enjoy himself and left me with all the work! And maybe cry angry tears". Heh. *proud of myself for handling situation*

OK Thursday hubby only came back past midnight. I had been trying to get the girls to settle down for two hours without success. It was 2.30am before everyone got to sleep. This time I shifted to Whiny mode. Heh.

We may be small but we can be a handful!


3 comments:

  1. I always tell hubs...we mothers are always the best...with all the things that we go thru...but he just rolls his eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. u will get adjusted. the kids will just adjusted to the new environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leona, yeps! Hubs keeps saying, just ask the maid to do, what's the problem. Grr.

    Rachel, fingers crossed...

    ReplyDelete