Thursday, April 14, 2011

Goodbye to Tai-ma

 So many people here. Tai-ma must have had a lot of friends

Yesterday was the funeral of my grandmother, or Jo Ern's Tai-ma (great-grandmother) in Taiping.  There goes the last of my grandparents.  I find her passing a sobering reminder that death is inevitable.  But she lived till 96, a good long life.  She was reasonably healthy until almost the very end and I'm glad she didn't suffer long then.

We were exempted from many of the rituals since we had a baby with us.  Jo Ern behaved very well though and actually sat through one of the prayer sessions. Well ok, I was prepared with a celery stick for her and she just sat there without a peep chewing on it!  No pictures since whipping out a camera didn't seem appropriate.

It's time for my lunch but this bread will do since Mummy is busy

For the wake that night, attendees were served peanuts, red bean soup, barley-gingko and vegetarian curry mee.  Hmm rather sumptuous food, no?  But an uncle told me this is quite common these days.  I guess people needed more sustenance since prayers went on till midnight.  Goodbye and RIP, grandmother.

Nobody brought my bath-tub... lucky got this pail to pom-pom in


No comments:

Post a Comment