Saturday, December 11, 2010

My pregnancy story

A month before the arrival of little Jo Ern!

Because I want to remember. Heh.

I'd conceived about 2 years before but that one didn't end well. So this time I was very cautious about letting anyone outside family know. Later it was difficult to bring up the subject (can't be saying 'BTW I'm pregnant' out of the blue!). I went for a 2-week business trip when 3 months pregnant - nobody knew, so I didn't get any special treatment regarding seats, toilets etc. Luckily my colleague was gentleman enough to help hoist my luggage around. I vomitted once after too much orange juice, and luckily again it was after work so the client wasn't alarmed.

Pregnancy... was comparatively good. I only started wearing maternity clothes after 5 months. A colleague asked me how many months I was and was so surprised when I said SIX. The discomforts of pregnancy also only started around then.

What bothered me most was being hot. The aircon in the room was always on, and I'd drag a chair to sit right in front of it. Sometimes without a shirt on, to hubby's consternation. :) Second would be carpal tunnel syndrome. The tingling in my fingers was so bad it sometimes kept me up at night. I had to forcefully make my hands do what I wanted them to, and dropped things all the time. Third would be the metallic taste in my mouth. I'd be eating all the time trying to cover the taste. *blekk*

Best thing was... no stretchmarks! I have bad skin and I only applied cream occasionally (since I read they don't really help), but somehow... none!

Birth plan
A large fibroid was right on the baby exit route. Gynae said I could try a natural birth, though there was a high chance baby would get stuck at the fibroid. Then a c-section would have to be done. I decided to dispense with the maybes and jump straight for a c-section.

So, c-sect scheduled 2 weeks before due date. A fortnight less of being pregnant? Great! And I loved planning towards a specific date rather than having to wait and wonder. I went to the dentist, banks and whatnot. And lots of nice meals with hubby. :)

Next... the birth story.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing...
    Nice to know you better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leona. After delivery I had a little piece of paper where I noted down Day1 - baby cried a lot, I didn't eat much, slept ok. Day2, baby didn't cry so much... etc etc. Thought I will record in this blog and throw away that scrap of paper, then figured might as well put in pregnancy story as well. Electronic records are MUCH tidier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your first one.
    Nevertheless, any baby born is a joy to a mother.

    ReplyDelete