Saturday, December 11, 2010

The birth story

A cutie-pie to brighten up my days

Pre-op
Exited the Damansara toll smack into the morning jam. That made us late to the hospital, for such an important appointment too.

Day 1

Had the c-section. 2 needles, one for the drip and a spinal one for the local anaesthetic. I was scared of the spinal one as I thought it would be a huge needle (confused with the ones used for epidurals). Turned out it was less painful than the one for the drip. Had some nausea right after. Hubby came in all togged out in blue plastic gown and shower cap. I was happy to see him - however much I get annoyed with him, he is my rock during hard times.

Gynae had said the surgery would be 'a walk in the park'. It actually was! Shortly after, Jo Ern was delivered and whisked away for a quick clean. Then pedi brought her to us - I only had a glimpse of damp hair still matted with some blood. Gynae finished up - took a bit longer as he saw something at my ovary and did a biopsy. I was shivering violently from the cold towards the end.

Then it was back to the room. The nurse brought cleaned-up Jo Ern and I was quite at a loss how to hold this tiny baby! Tried to breastfeed, not sure how successfully.

Couldn't sleep well that night with a drip and catheter in place. Hubby slept on the sofa in the room.

Day 2

Drip and catheter were removed. When I stood up to walk to the toilet OMG... the PAIN! Nurse said it was the stitches stretching. If doc hadn't advised me to walk more for faster healing, I'd have immediately lay down for fear of injuring something! Pain was only there when I stood up though, and it got better as the day wore on.

Day 3

Pedi said Jo Ern had jaundice and had to stay at least another 2 days. I decided to stay on as well. In a way, that was a good thing as my abdominal muscles was still sore and the motorised bed was very useful when getting up.

Suspected my boobs were harder than normal that night.

Day 4

Milk supply definitely in and I was in discomfort from the engorgement. I'd been quite worried if I'd been at home! At the hospital it was easy to get advice from gynae/midwife/nurses. Another plus from extending my stay.
.

Day 5
Discharged. Bill was quite scary... Went to my parents' house for my one-month confinement. Jo Ern pooped and I had to call for my mum. Hehe. I had no idea how to operate a diaper!
.
After a week, took Jo Ern to the pedi for a check-up. I actually enjoyed going out for that trip. Until pedi said her jaundice levels were bad and she had to be admitted. It was heart-wrenching leaving my tiny baby at the hospital. And worse to reach home to see her baby things and not have her there.
.
Eventually all the jaundice was tested to be merely breastmilk jaundice. And she's been with me every single night since. :)
.
OK what else... oh, I was back to normal weight at the end of my 2-month maternity leave. :) To sum up, the c-section was easy and healing was fast. BUT... I didn't expect the scar to be this thick and in an inconvenient location. I can feel it when I lie on my tummy. If I had known, maybe I'd have tried natural delivery. Still, in hindsight that's easy to say!
.
A good friend of mine asked if having a baby was worth it. I will say, oh definitely YES.

1 comment:

  1. Sean had breastmilk jaundice too. he was yellowish for almost 2 months!

    yes, even with all the hardwork and the crying and fussiness, a baby is definetly worth it :)

    ReplyDelete